I’m slowly chipping away at my boy’s room renovation. I’ve paper-bagged the floors and am about halfway done planking the walls. My next victim was this dresser/changing table.
It’s really feminine, plus it’s slowly turning from a nice crisp white to more of a muted yellow. Wait, though, that’s not the actual picture from before. Get ready for the worst before picture of all time.
Yes, that is our master bedroom circa 2008, a few months after we bought our house. It literally hurts my eyes to look at it.
Let’s just start by telling you that I have never stripped a piece of furniture before. I’ve removed paint and finishes, but never anything that I couldn’t tackle with my sander. The paint on this dresser was thick though, nasty thick. When I painted it the first time (the white) I was positive that I never wanted the paint to go anywhere, so I used oil based paint (which I will never use again, that stuff is seriously nasty).
I knew I needed to use a chemical stripper (or a heat gun, but that was an investment), so I googled around and ended up buying Citri-Strip from Amazon. It had great reviews, and everyone said it didn’t smell like chemicals at all. They were right too, it actually smelled delicious.
So I brushed a coat on the top, and after just a few minutes, the paint started to bubble up.
Awesome. Adam got to scraping, and this is as good as we got it after one application.
After the second coat, most of the white came off.
I had previously thought that the bright yellow was a paint, but turns out it is some crazy bright yellow stain…or something. Whatever it is, I can tell you that the chemicals had no effect on it whatsoever. I can also tell you that the stripper didn’t work as well on the rest of the dresser as it did on the top. I felt like my dresser became immune to it after a while, and getting in all the cracks was impossible. So I started ripping off decorative panels and kept scraping paint, and it started looking pretty darn disgusting. I bet if I put it on the curb at this point it would have stayed there.
So, after nearly a week of stripping (I know how that sounds) and scraping and sanding, I decided it was good enough to paint and stain.
That night Adam and I lugged it inside and I painted it (while watching old episodes of Malcolm in the Middle, of course).
Yes, green. Bold, beautiful, unadulterated green. Adam thinks I’m nuts, but I have a plan. I always have a plan.
I felt that the dresser looked a little stumpy and cabinet-like, so I bought some wooden feet at Home Depot. They carry a ton of different shapes and sizes, but I chose some simple square ones.
Then I turned it over to Adam. The bottom of the dresser only has three sides and is hollow, so I figured he would enjoy the challenge, haha.
He rigged something up all the while using beautiful descriptive phrases such as “painfully annoying” and “horrendously ghetto”. The man is a poet, I tell ya.
So here she is now, my green beauty…
I never did get all the yellow out of the grooves in the top, but I think it looks kinda cool the way it is.
I am painfully aware that the door looks awkward. Is the knob, it’s small and off-center. I wracked my brain to try to figure out what I could do to the door to spice it up and still keep it simple, but I eventually gave up and just took pictures despite the awkwardness. I think I will add an extra long vertical handle though, kinda like THIS.
I think that will surely take the awkwardness level down to tolerable.
So there you have it, a super long post about taking a dresser from white to green. This isn’t the end though, cause that dresser isn’t going back in my boy’s room. In fact, it’s not even going to be used as a dresser at all.